FIVE WAYS TO WELL-BEING
The following steps have been researched and developed by the New Economic Foundation. Building these five steps into our everyday life we can improve our well-being. These steps can be used and adapted to suit children, young people and adults of all ages.
- With the people around you at home, work, school or in your local community.
- Spend quality time with friends and family.
- Talk to neighbours and colleagues.
- Try and make new friends.
- Get involved in local community groups or social activities.
- Organise play dates for your child.
- Enrol your child in clubs so they can make new friends.
- Building and maintaining relationships is an important part of wellbeing.
- Walk, scoot or cycle to school.
- Take your child to the park and play some games with them.
- Take the stairs rather than the lift.
- Do some gardening.
- Dance to your favourite music.
- Pick an activity you enjoy and suits your level and you are more likely to stick with it.
- Encourage your child to take a sport or join an activity club.
- Being active lifts your mood and increases your energy levels.
- Take time to slow down, be still, reflect and savour the moment.
- Be aware of what’s going on in the world around you: the everyday and the unusual.
- Spend time with your child noticing the sunsets, patterns in the clouds, the rainbows, the changing seasons.
- Be curious. Savour your favourite food.
- Spend time outdoors in parks and natural spaces, notice and breathe in the beauty of the natural world around you.
- Reflecting on your experiences will help you appreciate what matters to you.
- Embrace new experiences, see challenges as opportunities.
- Set goals and learn something new.
- Take your child to the library or visit a museum together.
- Teach your child new skills like cooking and try out a new recipe.
- Research something you’re interested in.
- Learn a new word or a random fact.
- Take up a new hobby or rediscover an old one.
- Learning new things will make you more confident as well as being fun.
- Your time, your words, your presence.
- Do something nice for a friend.
- Thank someone.
- Volunteer your time.
- Raise money for charity.
- Be a good role model.
- Take action to improve your neighbourhood.
- Join a community group.
- Take time to listen to someone.
- Helping others can make you feel happier.